D&T (Design & Technology)
Design and Technology is an important part of school life at Capel Manor Primary School. Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation. Throughout their time at Capel Manor children will:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- become proficient in craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of craft and design.
- know about craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their designs.
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- design innovative craft designs using computer based technology.
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Click here to see how we teach D&T at Capel Manor.
Have a look and see what fantastic projects we have been completing!
Egg Mobile Challenge
One of our whole school favourite D&T events is the designing and constructing of Egg Mobiles! The children all participated in this event and we were thrilled to see the outcomes. A lot of clever thinking had gone into the finished product and we then raced each of them to see which could go the furthest. We even had an egg in a tennis ball this year - a very ingenious design! We then completed a whole school evaluation to see what went well & what could be improved to be even more successful.
St Ignatius Year 6 Crossover
We are very proud to say that this year we have forged links with our local Secondary School St Ignatius College. This year, both Year 6 students from Capel Manor Primary School and Year 9 students from St Ignatius College have had the opportunity to visit each other’s Art Departments and participate in some fantastic Art and Design & Technology projects. St Ignatius' students supported and helped design an incredible sculpture inspired by Dale Chihuly’s exhibition at Kew Gardens. The finished sculpture is breath-taking and is made from recycled materials and objects which in turn also highlight our need to support and help the environment, a pledge which Capel Manor Primary School take extremely seriously.